Longford and its surrounds
The Longford Online Access Centre is situated in the middle of Longford is located at the convergence of the Macquarie and the South Esk Rivers, 27 kms from Launceston, and 12kms off the Midlands Highway. The rich pastoral land, originally discovered by Lt Laycock in 1807 during his epic overland journey from Launceston to Hobart, was first settled in 1808. The area was known originally as Norfolk Plains (after settlers relocated from Norfolk Island), and later called Latour (after a leading member of the Cressy Company). The town was officially named Longford by Governor George Arthur in 1833.
Longford features many well preserved colonial buildings. Christ Church (one of the oldest churches in the state) has beautiful windows and clock. There are many convict-built houses and cottages in the town. On the outskirts of Longford, are two early free-settler estates, Woolmers (1816) and Brickendon (1824), both open to the public.
The bluestone Catholic Church on the Illawarra Road leading into Longford is the final burial place for Australian impressionist artist Tom Roberts, who married twice, both to Tasmanian ladies from the district.
The Longford Racecourse is the oldest continously operating racecourse in Australia.
Longford town, and forms a part of the library building on the corner of Lyttleton and Wellington Streets.
We are fortunate to have a real country feel in Longford while at the same time the facilities of doctors' surgery, Service Tasmania shop, antique shops, hairdressers, several garages/petrol stations,supermarkets, two banks, a butcher's shop and a Post Office are all nearby. We have two local bus companies, and the children are taken to school by them, while one company makes daily trips into Launceston.
1. Brickendon Historic Farm and Convict Village - Longford
2. Woolmers Estate - Longford
3. Longford Antiques - Longford
4. Longford Golf Course - Longford
5. Bowthorpe Farm Walks and Gardens - Longford
1. Brickendon Historic and Farm Cottages - Longford
2. Kingsley House Olde World Self Contained Accommodation - Longford
3. Old Chapel (The) - Longford
4. Old Rosary (The) - Longford
5. Panshanger - Longford
6. Racecourse Inn - Longford
7. Ringley Cottage Romance Revisited - Longford
8. Woolmers Estate - Longford
9. Mountford Granary - Longford
10. Longford Riverside Caravan Park - Longford